Sometimes there’s a recipe that comes along that makes it easy to bring the magic of Walt Disney World home! In the past we’ve enjoyed Disney recipes such as the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup from Le Cellier Steakhouse at EPCOT, the Gourmet Macaroni & Cheese from EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival, and even The Kitchen Sink from Beaches & Cream Soda Shop at Disney’s Beach Club Resort. One of our very favorite dining experiences on Disney property however is Sanaa restaurant located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. More specifically… we can’t get enough of the Indian-style bread service!
While visiting Sanaa, you can order the bread service which is an offering of five different breads – traditional naan, garlic-ginger naan, spiced naan, onion kulcha, or paneer paratha all made in the restaurant’s tandoor ovens. The delicious accompaniments include cucumber raita, roasted red pepper hummus, mango chutney, tomato-date jam, tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, garlic pickle, red chile sambal, and spicy jalapeño-lime pickle. Well, now Disney is brining a portion of this fantastic bread service experience to your kitchen! Check out the recipe below for Sanaa’s Naan Bread with Cucumber Raita Recipe:
Makes 5 (8-inch) naan
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; stir to combine.
2. Combine milk, water, and oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine.
3. With mixer running, pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. As soon as mixture comes together, switch attachment to a dough hook and mix until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Do not over-mix.
4. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
5. Place a pizza stone on a top rack of oven, positioned approximately 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
6. Divide dough evenly into 5 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
7. Turn oven to broil. Carefully slide one circle of dough onto the preheated pizza stone, and broil until bread is bubbled and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully, as the bread can burn very quickly. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
8. Brush the warm bread with melted butter and serve immediately.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced into small pieces
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
1. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Chill before serving.
YUM! We’ll definitely be working our magic in the kitchen to try Sanaa’s Naan bread right at home. If you’re looking for an easy way to add this recipe to your cookbook, click here for a print-at-home version. Turn on the Disney music, put on those Mickey ears, and spread a little pixie dust in that kitchen of yours!