Disney-themed flashlights have been recalled after a child received one as a gift, opened it, removed the battery, and swallowed it. The child had to have a surgical intervention to retrieve the battery.
RELATED: Child spends the day at Disney World, wakes up next day with mysterious illness and is unresponsive with collapsed lung
The Disney projector flashlights to which the recall applies were made by Halo Branded Solutions and were included in Disney-themed promotional care packages that were handed out to young children between February and June 2021 by Starlight Children’s Foundation to local hospitals and other health care facilities. The care packages also included a tote bag, silicone wristband, playing cards, ink pen, journal, wall decals, and a set of postcards.
RELATED: Watching Disney films can land you in the hospital; just ask one of these 50 young fans
The flashlight recall applies to more than 82,000 projector flashlights that have a key chain on one end and a flashlight projector on the other end.
The models being recalled are red, dark blue, or light blue in color and measure 3 inches long and 0.5 inches in diameter. They have the model name imprinted on the middle of the body of the flashlight. Five models are part of the recall by Halo Branded Solutions, each one with a Disney theme: Disney, PIXAR, Star Wars, Marvel Avengers, and ESPN.
RELATED: ESPN Channel to go dark at end of the year
According to an announcement by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, “a child can disassemble the projector flashlight and access the button cell batteries, posing ingestion and choking hazards.” The recalled projector flashlights have four button cell batteries inside, and the batteries are imprinted with the model number LR41.