Yes, you read that correctly. The National Weather Service has issued a Blizzard Warning for parts of Hawaii, beginning this evening and going through Sunday evening, December 5, for the Big Island of Hawaii. Snowfall in excess of 12 inches is expected, as are wind gusts of more than 100 miles per hour.
The warning from the National Weather Service reads as follows:
“URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Honolulu HI 311 AM HST
Fri Dec 3 2021 …BLIZZARD WARNING FOR THE BIG ISLAND SUMMITS…
BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM HST SUNDAY…
* WHAT…Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of up to 12 inches or more. Winds gusting over 100 mph.
* WHERE…Big Island Summits.
* WHEN…From 6 PM this evening to 6 AM HST Sunday.
* IMPACTS…Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods of zero visibility. See the High Wind Warning that is also in effect.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…The strong winds will likely cause significant drifting of snow.
* PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… Travel should be restricted to emergencies only. If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle.”
High winds, high snow accumulations, and the possibility of snowdrifts are expected on the Big Island of Hawaii, specifically on the summits on the island.
It’s approximately 200 miles from the Big Island of Hawaii to Disney’s Aulani Resort, a virtual paradise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. At Aulani Resort & Spa, Guests “a bit of Magic in Paradise” every day of the year, and it’s hard to envision heavy snow, frigid temperatures, and emergency travel restrictions related to winter weather less than 200 miles away.
At Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa, the entire family can get away from it all, and there’s something for everyone. Currently, Aulani is offering several special discounts on future stays, including one offer that saves you more the longer you stay, on visits from January 4, 2022, through April 8, 2022.
Hopefully by then, blizzard warnings in Hawaii will be a distant memory!
Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa is currently unaffected by the blizzard warnings in Hawaii on the Big Island, but the entire state of Hawaii continues to be affected by travel rules and restrictions related to COVID-19 and vaccine statuses.
Know before you go and be sure to visit the state’s “Safe Travels Hawai’i” website for the latest on travel restrictions, delays and policies for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers to and from Hawaii.