The rides, attractions, and restaurants at Walt Disney World are maintained on a regular basis. This keeps guests safe. Sometimes, though, extra work is needed. A ride, attraction, store, or restaurant might close for refurbishment. It could be that the closure is just for a few days so that the elements of the area can be deep-cleaned, and maybe a fresh coat of paint added. Other times the refurbishment will last longer. It might even be that the place in question receives a complete makeover. Parts of resorts will close for refurbishment as well. It is never a bad idea to check to see if there are any refurbishments scheduled during your vacation. You don’t want to be disappointed once you arrive and learn that a favorite is closed.
Below is a list of current and future refurbishments and closings at Walt Disney World. Please be advised that the dates and other information could change at any time. This list is up to date starting in January, 2019, to the best of our knowledge.
- Magic Kingdom:
- Walt Disney World Railroad; all stations: currently closed for Tron Lightcycle construction. Expected to reopen sometime in 2019. Until then, guests can see the train up close in the Main Street, U.S.A. Station.
- Tomorrowland Speedway: closing January 2, 2019, will reopen May 18, 2019.
- Peter Pan’s Flight: closing January 7, will reopen February 2, 2019.
- Stitch’s Great Escape!: closed, permanent closure has not been announced.
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth: closing permanently “in the second half of 2019”. Will be replaced temporarily by Epcot Forever in fall, 2019. A new show will debut in 2020.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy is scheduled to open early 2019.
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is scheduled to open in 2019.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is scheduled to open fall, 2019.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom:
- Rafiki’s Planet Watch: closed for lengthy refurbishment. This includes Wildlife Express Train, Affection Section, Conservation Station, and Habitat Habitat!. Rafiki’s Planet watch is expected to reopen spring, 2019, which could be seasonally.
- Kali River Rapids: closing January 7, will reopen March 23, 2019.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote with new bookings contact our sponsor Magical Vacation Planner by calling: 1(407)442-0289
Or for a free no obligation quote with new bookings you can fill out the form by Clicking HERE!
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park:
- Currently closed through January 5, 2019 for its annual refurbishment.
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park:
- Will be closed January 6, 2019-March 16, 2019 for its annual refurbishment.
- La Nouba by Cirque du Soleil:
- Closed permanently December 31, 2017. Will be replaced by a new Cirque du Soleil show featuring Disney themes, no opening date has been announced.
Resorts (in alphabetical order):
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort:
- The Big Blue Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in fall, 2020.
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort:
- Resort is currently under refurbishment. Construction takes place 9:00am-5:00pm to minimize guest disruptions. Gran Destino Tower is set to open July, 2019.
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort:
- The Hippy Dippy Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in fall, 2020.