The rides, attractions, and restaurants at Walt Disney World are maintained on a regular basis. This keeps guests safe. Sometimes, though, extra work is needed. A ride, attraction, store, or restaurant might close for refurbishment. It could be that the closure is just for a few days so that the elements of the area can be deep-cleaned, and maybe a fresh coat of paint added. Other times the refurbishment will last longer. It might even be that the place in question receives a complete makeover. Parts of resorts will close for refurbishment as well. It is never a bad idea to check to see if there are any refurbishments scheduled during your vacation. You don’t want to be disappointed once you arrive and learn that a favorite is closed.
Below is a list of current and future refurbishments and closings at Walt Disney World. Please be advised that the dates and other information could change at any time. This list is up to date starting in April, 2019, to the best of our knowledge.
- Walt Disney World Railroad; all stations: currently closed for Tron Lightcycle construction. Reopening date is yet to be announced. Until then, guests can see the train up close in the Main Street, U.S.A. Station.
- Tomorrowland Speedway: closed, will reopen mid-May, 2019.
- Mickey and Minnie’s surprise Celebration: running through September 30.
- Stitch’s Great Escape!: closed, permanent closure has not been announced.
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth: closing permanently “in the second half of 2019”. Will be replaced temporarily by Epcot Forever in fall, 2019. A new show will debut in 2020.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is scheduled to open in 2019.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is scheduled to open August 29, 2019. Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run will be the only ride operational when Galaxy’s Edge first opens. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance should open later this year.
- The Incredibles at Pixar Place: running through September 30.
- Mike and Sully at Walt Disney Presents: running through September 30.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote with new bookings contact our sponsor Magical Vacation Planner by calling: 1(407)442-0289
Or for a free no obligation quote with new bookings you can fill out the form by Clicking HERE!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom:
- Rafiki’s Planet Watch: closed for lengthy refurbishment. This includes Wildlife Express Train, Affection Section, Conservation Station, and Habitat Habitat!. Rafiki’s Planet watch is scheduled to reopen summer, 2019.
- Hakuna Matata Time Dance Party: running through September 30.
- Both water parks are up and running again after their annual refurbishments.
- NBA Experience is set to open on August 12, 2019.
- La Nouba by Cirque du Soleil: closed permanently December 31, 2017. Will be replaced by a new Cirque du Soleil show featuring Disney themes, no opening date has been announced.
Resorts (in alphabetical order):
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort: The Big Blue Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in fall, 2020.
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort: Resort is currently under refurbishment. Construction takes place 9:00am-5:00pm to minimize guest disruptions. Gran Destino Tower is set to open July, 2019.
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort: The Hippy Dippy Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in fall, 2020.