The rides, attractions, and restaurants at Walt Disney World are maintained on a regular basis. This keeps guests safe. Sometimes, though, extra work is needed. A ride, attraction, store, or restaurant might close for refurbishment. It could be that the closure is just for a few days so that the elements of the area can be deep-cleaned, and maybe a fresh coat of paint added. Other times the refurbishment will last longer. It might even be that the place in question receives a complete makeover. Parts of resorts will close for refurbishment as well. It is never a bad idea to check to see if there are any refurbishments scheduled during your vacation. You don’t want to be disappointed once you arrive and learn that a favorite is closed.
Below is a list of current and future refurbishments, closings, and openings at Walt Disney World. Please be advised that the dates and other information could change at any time. This list is up to date starting in October, 2019, to the best of our knowledge.
- Walt Disney World Railroad; all stations: currently closed for Tron Lightcycle construction. Reopening date is yet to be announced. Until then, guests can see the train up close in the Main Street, U.S.A. Station.
- Stitch’s Great Escape!: closed, permanent closure has not been announced.
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth: ended on September 30. Has been replaced temporarily by Epcot Forever on October 1, 2019. A permanent show called HarmonioUS will debut in 2020.
- O Canada!: closed for refurbishment.
- Electric Umbrella: closing on November 23, it’s unclear on whether it will reopen as Electric Umbrella or as a new restaurant.
- Character Spot: moved to a new location.
- Epcot is under a massive transformation, so several temporary food or merchandise locations are located at the front of the park.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote with new bookings contact our sponsor Magical Vacation Planner by calling: 1(407)442-0289
Or for a free no obligation quote with new bookings you can fill out the form by Clicking HERE!
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open on December 5.
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is scheduled to open in 2020.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom:
- Primeval Whirl: currently closed, listed as temporary on the Walt Disney World website.
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park: currently closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park: will close on January 5, 2020, for its annual refurbishment.
- La Nouba by Cirque du Soleil: closed permanently December 31, 2017. It will be replaced by a new Cirque du Soleil show featuring Disney themes. It is expected to open Spring, 2020, Tickets are already on sale, with dates starting in March.
- Disney Skyliner: is now open. It services Disney’s Caribbean Beach, Art of Animation, Pop Century, and Riviera Resorts, as well as Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. There are three different lines. Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is on all three lines, and that is where you will find the main hub.
Resorts (in alphabetical order):
- Disney’s All-Star Music Resort: The Calypso Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in mid-September, 2020, through mid-December, 2020.
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort: The Big Blue Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in Fall, 2020.
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort: Beaches & Cream Soda Shop will be closed for refurbishment from early August until December, 2019.
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa: Mizner’s Lounge is closed for refurbishment, expected to reopen Fall, 2019.
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort: The Hippy Dippy Pool will undergo refurbishment, starting in Winter, 2020.
- Disney’s Riviera Resort: Reservations are being accepted for December 16, 2019 and beyond.