We have a major weather update to report on for our friends in Florida. Tropical Storm Nicole — which has been barreling through the Caribbean — has been upgraded to a hurricane just hours before it is expected to hit the Sunshine State. Nicole started out as a Subtropical Storm, but was upgraded to a Tropical Storm a few days ago. Now we have learned that it has hit the Bahamas with sustained winds of at least 75 miles an hour, and Nicole has officially been upgraded to a hurricane.
According to meteorologists, Hurricane Nicole is expected to hit Florida’s East Coast by midnight on November 9. Nearly the entire state will feel the effects of Hurricane Nicole in some way, with the eye of the storm making its way from the East Coast to the West Coast and then turning back east. Spectrum News reporter Chris Gilson shared news of Nicole’s upgrade not long ago.
BREAKING #Nicole has strengthened to a hurricane with winds of 75 mph. It is about 105 mile east of West Palm Beach. @MyNews13 #tropics
BREAKING #Nicole has strengthened to a hurricane with winds of 75 mph.
It is about 105 mile east of West Palm Beach. @MyNews13 #tropics
— Chris Gilson (@GilsonWeather) November 9, 2022
Earlier today, Walt Disney World Resort announced several closures ahead of Hurricane Nicole, with phased closings beginning at 5 p.m. The Disney World website currently reads:
- Walt Disney World Resort theme parks will have a phased closure today, November 9, beginning at 5:00 PM, and will remain closed through tomorrow morning, November 10. Resort Guests are encouraged to enjoy food and beverage options at the theme parks prior to returning to their Disney Resort hotel. Theme parks will likely not reopen at their regularly scheduled time tomorrow, November 10.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park: Closing today, November 9, at 5:00 PM, with last dining reservations at 5:00 PM.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Closing today, November 9, at 6:00 PM, with last dining reservations at 6:00 PM
- Magic Kingdom Park: Closing today, November 9, at 7:00 PM. Last dining reservations for Be Our Guest Restaurant, Liberty Tree Tavern, The Diamond Horseshoe and Cinderella’s Royal Table will be at 6:00 PM, and last dining for all other dining reservations will be at 6:30 PM.
- EPCOT: Closing today, November 9, at 7:00 PM. Last dining reservations for Monsieur Paul, Space 220 Restaurant, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall and Garden Grill Restaurant will be at 6:00 PM, and last dining for all other dining reservations will be at 6:30 PM.
As previously shared, extended evening theme park hours at Magic Kingdom cancelled today, November 9.
To align with modified theme park hours, nighttime spectaculars will be cancelled today, November 9, including Disney Enchantment at Magic Kingdom park, Harmonious at EPCOT, and Fantasmic! at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park and Disney’s miniature golf courses will be closed on November 10. At this time, Disney has not announced that any of its theme parks will remain closed on November 10.
This is an ever-evolving situation, and Disney Dining will keep readers updated if Walt Disney World makes a change to its theme park schedule.