Katy Perry should have taken a lesson from Ariel from Disney’s The Little Mermaid and restrained herself from trying to be something she’s not.
On Sunday night’s live episode of American Idol, judge and music superstar Katy Perry, 37, fell out of her seat at the judge’s table on the show–tail and all. Perry had dressed as Ariel from The Little Mermaid in celebration of American Idol‘s Disney night, complete with Ariel’s signature red flowing locks, purple seashells, and teal-colored tail.
As the show’s host Ryan Seacrest began to introduce the evening, a loud thud was heard off-camera, but the cameras immediately panned over toward the noise where Katy Perry, aka Ariel, lay on the floor beside her chair with her tail in the air. Seacrest ran to her side, and he, along with Perry’s fellow judges Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie, helped Perry back to her seat as the audience cheered, “Katy! Katy!”
There wasn’t much Perry could do to help, having traded her human legs for a mermaid tail. Not to mention she had her dingle-hopper in her hand.
Perry laughed it off, and later laughed at herself by sharing video of the mishap on her own Instagram, captioning her post “Flippin’ your fins you don’t get too far,” a nod to the well-known lyrics from one of the film’s beloved songs, “Part of Your World.”
The American Idol judge tweeted footage of her epic tail-in-the-air fall with the caption, “Magic mirror on the wall, Disney Night’s the best of all, West coast, tune in for a rerun, Maybe you’ll see Ariel fall on her bum.”
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) May 2, 2022
- Christian Guardino – “Circle of Life” – from The Lion King
- Emyrson Flora – “Carried Me With You” – from Onward
- Fritz Hager – “Go The Distance” – from Hercules
- HunterGirl – “I See The Light” – from Tangled
- Jay Copeland – “Remember Me” – from Coco
- Lady K – “How Far I’ll Go” – from Moana
- Leah Marlene – “When She Loved Me” – from Toy Story 2
- Mike Parker – “You’ll Be In My Heart” – from Tarzan
- Nicolina Bozzo – “Poor Unfortunate Souls” – from The Little Mermaid
- Noah Thompson – “You’ve Got A Friend In Me” – from Toy Story