Who’s ready to see the world from the comfort of your home? Adventures by Disney is offering “Adventures at Home” series on a virtual journey across the globe. And you won’t even need to pack your bags! In this at home itinerary, DisneyParksBlog features Egypt. Let’s go!
Today we’re taking you to the storied land of pyramids and pharaohs, where many have traveled to experience the mystery and wonder of this ancient civilization. Next stop: Egypt! Gather your family together to virtually explore this remarkable destination.
1. Play like an Egyptian
When it comes to Egypt, there are so many stories to share. It is a destination that has fascinated historians, archeologists and explorers for centuries. On an Adventures by Disney guided group tour or Private Adventure to Egypt, you will experience this amazing destination and learn so much about the people, places and culture. But rather than simply sharing some of the highlights, why not give you a chance to test your knowledge? We’ve put together a matching game in which you and your family pair each subject with its corresponding description. Think you can get a perfect score? Print out the game and answer sheet to get started.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote with new bookings contact our sponsor Magical Vacation Planner by calling: 1(407)442-0289
Or for a free no obligation quote with new bookings you can fill out the form by Clicking HERE!
2. Taste the flavors of Egypt
On day six of our Adventures by Disney itinerary in Egypt, families learn how to cook traditional dishes using fresh, local ingredients. Well today, get ready to enjoy the flavors of Egypt in your own kitchen with this delicious Ginger Carrot Soup recipe. This savory dish, from our friends at Disney Family, is the perfect addition to your at-home Egyptian adventure.
3. Take your next meeting to Egypt
Display your love for travel during your next video conference with these Adventures by Disney virtual backgrounds. Guests visit the pyramids and Sphinx of Giza (left) and the Luxor temple (right) on both our Adventures by Disney guided group itinerary and Private Adventure to Egypt. Just marvel at the grandeur of these iconic monuments! How the ancient Egyptians built these impressive structures remains somewhat of a mystery to this day.
4. Become a “seasoned” traveler
On every Adventures by Disney trip, guests are immersed in the culture and experiences that make up the heart of each destination. And in Egypt, the traditional “souks,” or marketplaces, are a big part of everyday life. On the Egypt itinerary, adventurers will visit Khan el-Khalili, a famous marketplace established in the 14th century. There, you’ll find all sorts of goods and products – including herbs and spices.
So, let’s bring a small taste of this adventure to you with a sampling of spices you might find when exploring the marketplaces of Egypt. For this activity, gather together the below list of spices and display them in separate bowls. Take turns with your family members exploring the properties of each spice as you read its description (listed below). Do you taste the strong bite of the ginger? How about the sweetness of the cinnamon? Which one is most fragrant?
After trying them all, make a meal combining your favorite flavors. May we suggest the Ginger Carrot Soup? (See above recipe.)
- Ginger: Refreshing, spicy, pungent, sweet and warm. Ginger is considered a “hot-tasting” spice and is used for many things, including herbal medicine, baked goods, condiments, beverages, candies and even pickled ginger.
- Cinnamon: Sweet, spicy and warm with a woody fragrance. Used in both sweet and savory dishes. In ancient times, cinnamon was a highly sought-after and valuable spice. Did you know that Egyptians used cinnamon – along with other spices – in the embalming process due to its antibacterial properties?
- Coriander: Warm, nutty and spicy with a distinctive citrus flavor. Some uses for this spice include condiments, desserts, stews, marinades and meat dishes. Coriander leaves are popular garnishes.
- Cardamom: Intense sweet flavor and aromatic. Cardamom seeds are often used for cooking, but this spice is also commonly used to flavor coffee. If using whole cardamom pods, break open the pods and grind the seeds to taste this spice.
- Cumin: Earthy, spicy and strongly aromatic. Cumin is one of the ancient Mediterranean spices. The seeds can be used whole or ground, and popular uses include kabobs, couscous, stews, breads and sauces.
- Turmeric: Aromatic and bitter. This spice is believed to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is commonly used in curry and rice dishes. With its bold color, this spice serves as a natural coloring agent.
Expert at-home traveler tip! Enjoy your meal along with some freshly brewed mint or hibiscus tea – two popular beverages in Egypt.
For more Adventures at Home, be sure to check out our collection of virtual trips and at-home activities. Travel to Greece, the land of powerful gods and extraordinary heroes; explore the majestic natural wonders of Iceland; discover the wilderness and rich culture of Alaska; learn about time-honored traditions in Ireland; join a safari to South Africa or experience the beauty of Montana and Yellowstone National Park. See you next time, adventurers!