fbpx
Menu

Disney World Restaurant Adds New Warnings After Guest Dies After Dining at the Location

raglan road
Credit: Disney

A Walt Disney World restaurant has added new warnings after a guest died after eating at the establishment located at Disney Springs.

raglan road

Credit: Disney

Dr. Kanokporn Tangsuan, a young physician at NYU’s Langone Health, her husband, and his mother visited Raglan Road, an Irish pub located at Disney Springs at the Walt Disney World Resort, in early October 2023, but that evening, Dr. Tangsuan passed away, and her husband claims her death was caused by negligence on the part of the restaurant.

Her Family Files Suit

Last week, Jeffrey J. Piccolo, Dr. Tansguan’s husband, filed suit against Raglan Road at Disney World, alleging that his wife died of an allergic reaction that was caused because the establishment served her food that had allergens, though she had been assured multiple times that the food was allergy-safe.

According to a medical examiner’s report, which is cited in the lawsuit filed in a Florida circuit court on behalf of Piccolo, Tangsuan, 42, died of a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.

raglan road

Credit: Disney

The Food and the Alleged Events of the Evening

Per the complaint, the couple alerted their server that Tangsuan had severe allergies and couldn’t have any food that contained certain allergens. They were allegedly assured that specific items would be made allergen-free if they were ordered to be, so the party of three ordered “Sure I’m Frittered,” “Scallop Forest,” “This Shepherd Went Vegan,” and “Onion Rings,” according to court documents.

raglan road

Credit: Disney

The couple asked about allergens “several more times” and were told “unequivocally” that the food that would be served to them would be allergen-free, per the suit. But when their dishes arrived without “allergen-free flags,” they asked again whether the food was allergen-free, and they were given additional assurances.

At approximately 8:00 p.m. that evening, Piccolo returned to the couple’s hotel room, and Tangsuan stayed at Disney Springs to shop, per the complaint. Then, around 8:45 p.m., Tangsuan began to experience difficulty breathing. She stepped into a nearby dining location and collapsed “while suffering from a severe acute allergic reaction to the food served at Raglan,” the complaint says.

The young doctor used her EpiPen to try to stave off a severe allergic response, after which a bystander called 911, and paramedics rushed her to the hospital.

raglan road

Credit: Disney

Her husband learned about the allergic reaction from a bystander who answered her cell phone and informed him about the tragic event. When Piccolo arrived at the hospital, he was told that his wife had died.

Per NBC News:

An autopsy found she had elevated levels of dairy and nut in her system, according to the complaint. The autopsy report said her manner of death was an accident. It also noted that the tests were conducted after her death and that their validity and significance “have not been established.”

The complaint, which names the restaurant and Disney Parks and Resorts as defendants, alleges multiple counts of negligence. It seeks more than $50,000 in damages.

New Warnings From the Restaurant

Now, when guests visit the Raglan Road website, they are met with the following message that includes new warnings about the menu and possible allergens:

raglan road new allergy warnings

Credit: Raglan Road/Disney World website

It is unclear at this time whether Raglan Road or Disney World has responded to the suit. As this continues to be a developing story, more information will be shared as it becomes available.

About Becky Burkett

Becky's from the Lone Star State and has been writing since she was 10 and encountered her first Disney Park when she was 11. It was love at first Main Street Electrical Parade. Joy is blank lined journals, 0.7 mm pens, and all things Walt, Woody and Buzz, PIXAR, Imagineering, Sleeping Beauty (make it blue!), Disney Parks history and EPCOT. At Disney World, you'll find her croonin' with the birdies at the Enchanted Tiki Room or hangin' with Woody and the gang at Toy Story Land. If you can dream, you really can do it!

2 comments

  1. Food allergies tend to happen pretty quickly after ingestion. Not over 45 minutes after leaving the restaurant. It is difficult to blame food she ate an hour before falling ill

  2. True, but it’s not impossible.

    The disclaimer in the new sign is the type of thing that I’ve seen elsewhere, and SHOULD be standard anywhere.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.