‘Tis the season for shopping! But, as Disney fans rush out to the stores and shop online, take note as several Disney-themed children’s clothing sets are being recalled due to a lead poisoning hazard.
The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission released a recall notice on November 23, 2022, for several products distributed by the Bentex company.
The recall notice is for approximately 87,000 units of Disney-themed children’s clothing sets. Those 87,000 units include nine different sets, each featuring different Disney characters and styles, including:
- Jersey Leggings Set: A yellow long-sleeve top with a Minnie Mouse print and black leggings with white and yellow flowers.
- Bike Shorts Set: A red polyester short sleeve top with a Minnie Mouse print and gray shorts with black polka dots and Minnie Mouse heads.
- Girls Shorts Set: A yellow polyester Jersey short sleeve t-shirt with Winnie the Pooh and “Hello Hunny” print. The shorts are light blue with Winnie the Pooh print and yellow trim.
- Girls Shorts Set: A purple polyester Jersey short sleeve t-shirt with four Disney Descendants characters and “Wickedly Fierce” printed. The shorts are gray with purple trim.
- Boys Shorts Set: A green long-sleeve top with Grogu (Baby Yoda) and a frog print. The shorts are green striped with prints of Grogus (Baby Yoda) and frogs.
- 3-Pack Shorts Set: A three-pack of 100% cotton shorts in gray, yellow, and brown with a Mickey Mouse print. Shorts have drawstrings matching the short color around the waist.
- 3-Pack Pants Set: A three-pack of 100% cotton sweatpants in gray, yellow, and brown with a Mickey Mouse print.
- Children’s Shorts Set: A yellow short sleeve t-shirt with Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, and “Just beeing me” print. The shorts are gray with Winnie the Pooh and Tigger heads print.
- Children’s Leggings Set: A green short-sleeve top with Minnie Mouse and “Best Buds” printed. Pink leggings with white flowers and brown polka dots.
The hazard report states, “The textile ink painted on the recalled clothing sets contains levels of lead that exceed either the federal lead paint ban or the federal lead content ban, posing a lead poisoning hazard. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health issues.”
The products were manufactured in Egypt and sold are stores including TJMAXX, DD’s/Ross, Burlington, Army & Airforce Exchange Service, and other stores nationwide. The product was also sold online via Amazon from November 2021 through August 2022.
If you’ve purchased one of these items, it is recommended that consumers take the recalled children’s clothing sets away from children immediately. Bentex is offering a full refund for the returned items, stating that consumers will find each item has a batch number printed on the clothing neck or side label.
Currently, no injuries have been reported.