This is a really great perk for families at Walt Disney World that does not cost you anything extra on top of Park Admission. If you are a family with young children that are too small or too young to ride a specific attraction then you will want to read this piece because it will save you time and tears. There is no reason for anyone tall and old enough to ride an attraction to skip it anymore. When deciding what attractions to experience, and if it is one of your top three that you also want FastPass+ times for, do not waste a person’s FP+ on an attraction that they cannot enjoy. Everyone else can get a FP+ time for it and pick something else age appropriate for the little one. Ok, that said, this is how Rider Switch works.
1. Decide what adult, or 14 and older youth, will stay with the baby while everyone else is going to ride. Then all of you approach the Cast Member at the entrance to the ride. If you have a FP+ approach that line entrance, if you are riding Stand By, approach that line entrance. Tell the Cast Member (CM) that you would like to use Rider Switch on that attraction. The CM will verify that there is a baby, and an adult or youth 14 or older staying outside with the baby by physically seeing them. This policy has tightened up recently and you will need to show the baby and the adult.
2. The first rider and accompanying family will enter the correct line either Stand By or FastPass+. The CM will ask the person remaining with the child to scan their MagicBand. At that time, the CM will add the Rider Switch Pass to your MagicBand. This Rider Switch Pass will remain on your MagicBand for one hour unless you are waiting for an attraction such as Avatar Flight of Passage that has a lengthy wait well over an hour in the Stand By line. The CM will then add more time to the Rider Switch Pass depending on how long it should take your family to go through the attraction. If you don’t have a MagicBand, the CM will provide you with a Rider Switch card.
3. The first rider rides the attraction with friends and family.
4. The first rider and companions exit the ride and find the other family members outside who did not ride.
5. The Rider Switch on the second rider’s MagicBand will allow a total of three people to ride. This means the second person can take two family members/friends with them even if they have just been on the attraction. Scan the MagicBand with the Rider Switch Pass at the FastPass+ entrance. The Cast Member will then allow you to enter as well as the other two people you are bringing with you. The pass is for a total of 3 people, no more. The intention is for the adult or youth who waited with the baby to ride, bringing any two other people with them to ride the attraction so they don’t have to enjoy it alone.
That’s it. It is simple and it is a big help to families with very young children.