A trip to Disney World was supposed to be a fun getaway for one family, but a freak accident on Disney property scarred one young Guest for life.
For most people, the idea of stepping away from the responsibilities of school or work and jetting off on vacation evokes feelings of excitement and anticipation. And if it’s a vacation to the parks at the Walt Disney World Resort, that excitement and anticipation often turns into absolute elation and sheer joy. Some people, however, simply don’t have the words “Disney World” written on their lists of the top five places they’d like to visit on their next vacation.
Those who don’t fancy a Disney trip are often among a group of people who just don’t think of going to see Mickey Mouse and ride Space Mountain as the hallmarks of a great vacation. A few of them, however, had a less-than-magical experience at the parks and don’t relish the thought of returning.
That’s exactly what happened to a young man who now has no interest in vacations involving theme parks whatsoever. Years ago, according to the young man’s older brother, his family visited the Walt Disney World Resort and stayed on property at Disney’s Fort Wilderness campgrounds. One night during their stay, the family attended an activity around a campfire with other guests, during which they made s’mores. The young man has never forgotten what happened to him that evening during the planned activities.
“I’ll never forget the year we stayed at Chip and Dale’s campground area (or whatever the campgrounds are called), and my younger brother at age 7 or 8 [ate] almost nothing but dairy the entire day–on a hot Florida day–and threw up non-stop for a half hour at the [Hoop-Dee-Doo] Musical Review dinner and show.
Then later, after getting all cleaned up, getting his shirt set on fire by our younger sister at the s’mores night after [she set] her marshmallow on fire and [freaked] out. And I wonder why my poor brother doesn’t like theme park vacations.”
The boy was already having a less-than-magical night, as he had been sick and began vomiting during the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, but once he was feeling somewhat better, things only got worse, as his own sister actually caught his clothes on fire during what should have been a fun evening for the family and other guests who had gathered around the campfire to make s’mores.
Because of the scary happening at Fort Wilderness, it’s understandable that the now-older younger brother doesn’t feel that elation and joy at the thought of a trip to the Central Florida Disney Parks–or to any theme parks, for that matter. It seems pretty safe to say that his experience as a seven- or eight-year-old boy ignited a fear in him that hasn’t been extinguished.