At Disney World, the food is an attraction all its own. Far from your traditional theme park fare (read: disgusting), Disney World has some absolutely top-tier dining. That said, not all of it is worthy of that title.
Some restaurants that aren’t worth the hype (looking at you Cinderella’s Royal Table), and a few that absolutely deserve their lack of popularity. Sadly, Walt Disney World’s most iconic park, Magic Kingdom, happens to be home to the Resort’s worst dining.
The Plaza is one of those places. Every time we eat there, we leave disappointed. It’s just…not good. The food lacks imagination and is of poor quality and that is putting it lightly. It’s a shame really because the interior is beautiful, the service is excellent and its corner spot on Main Street is an ideal location. This could be a prime dining experience if Disney would just make a few changes.
Luckily, it seems those changes may be on the way. The Plaza is experiencing a menu change and several new items have been added along with the removal of others. Nothing drastic on the horizon but it seems they’re headed in the right direction.
Retired Menu Items
Let’s start with what’s going away. The chili is gone. No big loss there. As a cold-weather comfort food it was rarely chilly enough for chili in our book. The BLT Salad and the crab cakes have also been removed from the appetizer menu.
The entree menu definitely took more of a hit in the menu shakeup. The Main Street Burger, Sirloin Steak Salad, and the Plaza Reuben Sandwich have all been retired. The salads here are lackluster so the Sirloin Steak Salad is one that needed to go. The Reuben had a niche following but we always found it to be dry and oddly (for a Reuben) flavorless so we’re not mad to see it gone. The Main Street Burger is shocking though. It was easily the best thing on their current menu.
New Menu Items at The Plaza
As for what is being added, there is a lot. The crab cake appetizer is gone but in its place you’ll notice there’s now a crab cake sandwich entree. We hope that the upgrade means there will be more crab and less breading involved than its predecessor. Take a look at the new additions:
- Onion Rings — Served with Mild Horseradish Dipping Sauce ($10)
- House Salad — Mixed Greens, Sliced Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Maple Vinaigrette ($10)
- Crab Cake Sandwich— Griddled and served with Lettuce, Tomato, and Rémoulade Sauce on a Potato Roll ($26)
- Pot Roast Stack— Slow-roasted Beef piled high on Thick-cut Toast with Mashed Potatoes, Caramelized Onion Gravy, and Onion Rings ($24)
- Bacon Cheeseburger — Angus Beef Signature-blend Patty, Smoked Bacon, Cheddar, Lettuce, Tomato, and Signature Sauce on a Potato Roll ($23)
- Impossible Chili Burger — Impossible Burger topped with Impossible Chili, Pico de Gallo, and Plant-based Cheddar on a Potato Roll ($23)
- Chef’s Salad — Roasted Turkey, Smoked Ham, Swiss, Cheddar, Hard-boiled Eggs, Tomatoes, and Cucumber over Romaine served with your choice of Dressing ($20)
- Chicken Waldorf Salad — Mixed Lettuces with Pulled Chicken, Spiced Pecans, Apples, Grapes, Celery, and Blue Cheese tossed in Apple Cider Vinaigrette ($20)
- Triple Decker Turkey Club Sandwich — House-roasted Turkey, Smoked Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Lemon-Pepper Mayonnaise on Sourdough Toast ($19)
- Key Lime Artisanal Milkshake – Hand-dipped Vanilla Ice Cream blended with Key Lime Curd and Graham Cracker Crumbs ($8.25)
- Chocolate Pecan Brownie Artisanal Milkshake – Hand-dipped Chocolate Ice Cream blended with Spiced Pecans, Brownies, and Chocolate Sauce ($8.25)
- Strawberry Shortcake Artisanal Milkshake – Hand-dipped Strawberry Ice Cream blended with Vanilla Cake and Strawberries ($8.25)
- Chocolate Layer Cake – Served with Caramel Popcorn Mousse ($10)
- Cotton Candy Cheesecake – Served with Fresh Berries ($10)
It’s not the drastic overhaul we think the restaurant needs, but it’s a start. Do the changes push The Plaza from a “skip” to a “must try”? Hard to tell yet. We look forward to trying the new offerings and bringing you a full review. Excited to try the new menu at The Plaza for yourself? Reservations are highly recommended and can be made here.