Disney has announced the official opening date for the all-new Guardians of the Galaxy: COSMIC REWIND attraction!
Disney Parks Blog announced today that the brand-new addition at EPCOT will open to Guests on May 27!
Recently, a leak from a Disney employee revealed that the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster would be opening on Memorial Day weekend, and now we have confirmation from Disney on an exact opening date!
There’s a lot happening at EPCOT when it comes to the Guardians of the Galaxy. Per Disney Parks Blog:
“What do we already know about this awesome new family-thrill coaster attraction at Walt Disney World Resort? Well, we know people from the planet Xandar are coming to Earth and creating the first “other-world” showcase at EPCOT – the Wonders of Xandar pavilion. We know we’ll learn more about their technology and culture as we move through the pavilion, and discover how our two worlds are similar in so many ways.”
Disney Parks Blog also shared impressions of the new coaster at EPCOT, from a first-hand experience at the new attraction. The blog says these are just a few of the things that were seen inside the new experience inspired by the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise:
- Someone shouts, “This is an SOS from Nova Corps … Our outpost on Earth’s EPCOT is in danger!” The Nova Corps is Xandar’s peacekeeping team serving as protectors of their planet and the broader Andromeda Galaxy, which is where Xandar is located. This must be a Nova Corps officer alerting us to an urgent situation.
- Clearly, the Xandarians have come to EPCOT to oversee the Wonders of Xandar pavilion. I can tell because Spaceship Earth is visible outside the window, gleaming in all its glory. Oh, and because it says “EPCOT – Walt Disney World Resort” right there on the screen (nothing gets by me, I tell ya). But something is amiss.
- Someone who appears to be a Nova Corps soldier shouts out, “Everything is disappearing!” And, yep, we see things – people, clouds, you name it – literally zipping backward out of existence. Rewinding, perhaps?
- The officer is holding up a viewscreen communicator, and then we flash to the other end of that line … to the familiar confines of an M-Ship cockpit, where Peter Quill, a.k.a. Star-Lord, and a few of our other favorite Guardians of the Galaxy are relaxing between missions.
- Rocket is absorbed in apparently trying to “fix” Quill’s Awesome Mix tape. Thankfully, Groot is at least paying some passing attention to what’s happening on the screen in front of them and unmutes the volume – just in time to hear a distress call …
- “Help the galaxy – before it’s too late!” the officer urges – and then she, too, disappears … along with Spaceship Earth! Now we have Rocket’s attention, too, even if Star-Lord is peacefully snoozing away. (He’s been asleep this whole time? Typical.)
- Always considering himself the captain of the ship anyway, Rocket promptly takes the controls and decides to blast off for EPCOT. Because, as he says, “It’s save the galaxy time – again.”
- This is where we’ll come in, I think. As Rocket fires up the ship, we see other people zooming around the screen in Starjumpers, a type of Xandarian spacecraft. And just as the clip ends, Rocket takes the M-Ship into a jump point – the technology that allows Xandarians to travel vast distances of space in mere moments. And that’s it!”
You can watch the latest Disney Parks video about the Guardians of the Galaxy: COSMIC REWIND attraction here:
This summer promises to be one of the biggest and best at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida! Not only is the Guardians of the Galaxy: COSMIC REWIND coaster opening to Guests on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend, but Disney World’s 50th anniversary celebration is in full swing and continues for a whole 18 months, meaning that Guests who visit the parks for the opening of the COSMIC REWIND coaster will also get to enjoy all the festivities of the World’s Most Magical Celebration!