Work up a little magic in the kitchen with this recipe from Family.Disney.com for Sorcerer Mickey’s Hat Cake Pops. Hopefully your mixing bowls and spoons don’t start dancing like a symphony while you bake! Grab the family and let these delicious cake pops be music to your taste buds!
Sorcerer’s Hat Cake Pops
PREP 15 Min / COOK 15 Min
- 1 box cake mix (bake as directed on box for 13 x 9 cake)
- 1 can (16 oz) of ready made frosting
- Wax paper
- Baking sheets
- White candy coating
- Blue candy coating
- Chocolate covered mints (such as Junior Mints)
- Yellow jumbo star sprinkles
- Yellow candies (such as Starburst)
- No. 807 Decorating tip
- No. 12 Decorating tip
- Small paintbrush
- Paper lollipop sticks
- Styrofoam block
Helpful Tip: You can use dark blue candy coating instead of tinting your own.
One cake makes about 48 cake pops. If you don’t need that many, cut the cake in quarters and freeze any cake sections for another day. You’ll need at least one ounce of candy coating for each cake pop you plan on dipping and more for any extra decorating.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote with new bookings contact our sponsor Magical Vacation Planner by calling: 1(407)442-0289
Or for a free no obligation quote with new bookings you can fill out the form by Clicking HERE!
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl.
2. With a large spoon, mix cake thoroughly with about 3/4 of the can of frosting. You won’t need the rest.
3. Roll mixture into quarter size cake balls and place on a baking sheet covered with wax paper.
4. Once you have rolled the cake balls, you can then re-shape them into cones. Get the shape started by hand molding and then lay the cone shape on the wax paper and roll back and forth gently to help smooth out the shape. You can also rub the bottom side on the wax paper gently to help flatten the bottom.
5. Place the cone-shaped cake balls in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up. You can transfer them to the refrigerator to keep chilled and avoid freezing.
6. While the cake is chilling, you can make moons for the hat. Work with one Starburst candy at a time. Place it in the microwave for just a few seconds to make it more pliable. Then using a small glass or rolling pin, roll the candy flat. To make the moon you can use two small circular edges to cut the shapes. Decorating tips are the perfect size.
7. Cut out circles with the smaller end of a No. 807 decorating tip, then use the small end of a No. 12 decorating tip to remove another circular shape from inside the larger circle to create moons. Repeat with more yellow candies as needed. Note: You can also place them on the side of the large tip so they remain slightly curved and therefore easier to attach to the cake pop shape.
8. Melt white candy coating in a heat-proof plastic bowl so that the coating is at four inches deep for easier dipping. Melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals on low, stirring in between. Repeat until melted and smooth. Add blue candy color and stir until completely combined and you achieve the desired shade of blue.
9. Remove a couple of cake balls at a time from the refrigerator to work with.
10. Dip the tip of a lollipop stick into the melted coating and insert into the bottom of the cone shape. Dip the cake pop into the coating and remove in one motion without stirring. Make sure the entire cone-shaped cake ball is covered. Using a deep bowl is helpful here. If your coating is too thick, you can add a few drops of vegetable oil or shortening to help thin it and make it easier to work with.
11. Remove and allow any excess coating to fall off the pop and back into the bowl.
12. Attach a Junior Mint to each side of the hat for Mickey’s ears.
13. Then, while coating is still wet, attach two star sprinkles and one moon. Place in a styrofoam block to dry. You can also attach the stars and moon after the coating sets by using a toothpick to dot a small amount of coating to use as glue.
14. You can wrap your Sorcerer’s Hat cake pops in treat bags tied with a ribbon and/or store them on the counter or in an airtight container.